Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Enter Sandman

Just by reading the title, assuming that you have heard Metallica (if not you’re clearly missing out) you’ll think I’m going to talk about strange happenings in the dark. Tell tales of children’s nightmares and creepy stories of the boogey man. What every one likes to call “Things that go bump in the night”. Let me tell you my story, you can judge later.


Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake to the sounds of my own breathing, an eerie green glow coming form my alarm clock. Clutching the sheets to my body while trying to find the courage to get up because I know they’re waiting for me in the shadows. As my brain tries to process the necessity of waking up my whole being trembles, I know exactly what is going to happen next and it doesn’t make it any easier. Struggling with my mind I slowly put my feet on the ground, first the right foot then the left. Steadying myself I start to walk around the house without making any sound or turn on any lights. We wouldn’t want anyone or anything to be waken up, would we?

And though I have been waiting for the blow to come when it arrives it leaves me disoriented and scared, because …I have bumped in the damn drawer once again!

You see to me the things go literally bump in the night, I wake like 3 or 4 times every night just to go to the toilet or have a drink or something. And each and every one of them I walk into something, the drawers in my room, the toys my dogs leave scattered all around the house, the bottle of water that I keep in my night table in a futile attempt to not hurt myself in the search of water. Hence the bruises in my legs, it’s really funny because most of the times I don’t even remember bumping into things until I wake up the next morning and realize that I have indeed displaced another piece of furniture. Sleep walking anyone? No, I don’t think so says my husband because apparently I complain about being hurt. It’s just that since sleep doesn’t come so easily to me when I fall under is like not even a nuclear war could wake me up.

I’m sorry if I disappointed those who were expecting a story of haunted house, the truth is that the only thing haunting my house is my husband’s snoring and my awfully loud neighbors.

2 comments:

Mr. Cute Engineer said...

But this is a story of haunted houses! mysterious things that happens in the night, when almost everybody sleeps an no one pays attention..

Mrs Bitter said...

The key sentence here being "When no one pays attention".You can resume all my life just by using that.