Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Moon


There are only two possibilities, either you know what I'm going to talk about, or you live in a bunker under some mountain in the end of the world waiting for the catastrofic event that's going to end our civilization(I guess 2012 affected me a little, that and a story Mr. Cute Engineer told me about a guy who lives in our town).

Yesterday we went to the movies to see New Moon, which for some strange reason premiered first in Spain than in the rest of the world (I think Summit said some nonsense about Spanish fans being the best or something like that).

The first thing I want to admit is that I loved the books, which gets me some weird faces, people can't understand how it's possible that after reading things like Shakespeare or Poe I can like those books. In my defense I have to admit that I am a Romantic and sometimes it feels good to do some light reading (there's just so much Sartre you can read before your heads threatens to explode). Anyway, I liked the first movie, not because of the cast (I hated the tandem Pattinson-Stewart) but because of the photography, and it was exciting enough to find another series to follow when Harry Potter was so close to ending (because my friends I'm a collector, I promise to elaborate about that on another post).

I didn't have great expectations about this one mainly because of the director; I'm never going to forgive Chris Weitz for messing up "The Golden Compass". I really wasn't disappointed, the movie was mediocre at best. The vampires were whiter than ever, the actors made the lines sound even cheesier than the book and the worse part were the ohhhhs and ahhhhs from the audience , mainly composed by ladies around the twenties and thirties (since the movie started at 22:45 pm).

Special mention for the good work for the composer of the soundtrack, nice melodies that gave emotion when the interpretation of the actors failed and to the director of photography too.

I want to mention the transformation of Taylor Lautner, not only phisically but also professionaly, one of the best actors of the movie.

And finally, but not least important I want to say that the best actor of the whole thing was Michael Sheen in his short role as Aro (one of the Vulturis), I swear the more I see of him the more I like him.

In short, the film wasn't worth any Oscar's but at least it was entertaining (though my husband would probably tell you that it needed more action and gore). You really need to be a fan of the Twilight series to enjoy it. And the movie theater was full to the brim on a Wednesday night so I guess congratulations are in order to Summit because they have produced another blockbuster that's going to fill their pockets.

And now I'm going to retreat to dark corner to re-read The Vampire by Polidori because after yesterdays excess of young and pretty vampires I need to go back to the more gothic legends.

No comments: