Friday, October 23, 2009

Drive


And today song is brought to us by the always great Incubus (go and check them out, they're awesome).
So I'm going to tell you a story. A few days ago I received a call from a friend and when she started talking I knew, I just knew that she was going to tell me that she was pregnant. I was so happy for her because I knew her husband and her were really excited about being parents. I also was very proud because I was the first person she told, of course then I realized that since she knows I'm going to be the aunty Mrs. Bitter she might want to ingratiate herself with me in case she needed a nanny (I'm not putting myself down, that's just the way she is but I love her just like that).
It's official now, all my female friends are pregnant or about to deliver (even Mrs. German Bitch my future sister-in-law). I'm really happy for every one of them, what bugs me is that this gets me into the spotlight. You see, I'm 30 years old and my husband and I have decided to not have children. It's like announcing being vegetarian all over again, everyone wants an explanation. There are tons of them but what in the hell gives them the right to pose those questions to me.
This is what the post is about, about having the freedom to choose what we want to do with our lives. Whether it's having children, or studying or wanting to spend the day watching birds in the park.
People like to meddle in other peoples affairs, I can understand that (it does not mean I accept it), but it really is innocent until one of you decission strays from what it is socially acceptable. So life should go on like this, you are born, you grow up, you go to college, you meet a nice man (or woman), you get married, you have children and so on. Nobody asks you if you want to be a mother, you're just supposed to. And there's always your "lovely" (insert sarcasm here) mother-in-law who tells you that the instinct will come. Well I have to say that sometimes the instinct to kill her comes but I try to refrain myself (though maybe one day you shall see me in the news).
What I'm trying to defend here is that I (and that means you too) have the right to decide what I want to do, and you are nobody to demand any explanations, I will return the courtesy.
We just have to take the wheel of our lives and do what we really want to, this is the only way we can be happy. That means being courageous enough to stray from the path that they have laid for you. Not everyone wants to be a lawyer, and an engineer is no better than a maid in my eyes. What makes you a good person is who you are, not what you study, who you marry and how many children you have. What makes you a good person is being capable of doing an informed decission, carefully weighing the pros and cons (this makes you inteligent too, not your degree in politics).
So I don't want to have children, and I don't eat animals, I don't like to judge before I know someone and I hate when somebody wants to decide for me. If that means that in the eyes of the majority I'm a bad person then I'm really proud of it.
Would you dare being different from the rest? I dare you to at least try it, it really is fulfilling.
I hope you have a nice weekend.

No comments: