Tuesday, October 13, 2009

R_E_S_P_E_C_T


After this little recess of work I was supposed to come back with renewed forces. But I really am exhausted. Life can be very trying sometimes and I need your advice in something; so I'm going to tell you what happened and if you readers leave your peace of advice I'll be very grateful.
I finally decided, after much consideration and years of stalling to go vegetarian, this caused me a lot of trouble with my friends and family, first my husband was horrified (he is as carnivore as a lion), then one friend told me to be careful with my health (as if I were anorexic instead of vegetarian or something), then my grandpa ask me if I were to live of thin air...
Anyway, this weekend, since we were having holiday we were supossed to go to lunch to my grandpa on Friday and to my mother-in-law on Sunday.
I was terrified because my grandpa is a very judgmental person (tough he is 84 years old and I think this comes with age) and all the way to his house I was imagining peaces of meat or fish disguised between the meal; nothing of that happened, he was very understanding and made me one of my favorite meals (vegetable paella).
And then the disaster occured, Sunday came and we went to my Mother-in-law. Every plate that was in the table was made with something I wouldn't eat, there was the tuna and the ham in the salad, the squid in the main course, etc.
When we went home I was flabbergasted with my in-laws, and my husband told me that I could not pretend that everyone changed their cooking for me, and if I didn't like that his mother cooked with meat next time I should stay at home. That was the moment when I dissintegrated, if the same thing had happende to him I would have killed my mother and defended him and proceed to storm the house in fury.
I just think that I deserve some respect, making something for lunch that I can't or won't eat it is not respecting me, it is scorning me and after all this years I don't think I deserve their scorn.
I'm goin to try to forget, but I can say to you that next time there is a meal at my husband's parents is going to be the same thing all over again, and why can't he support me for once?
I will like very much to hear your oppinions on the subject, what will you do in my place? do you think I'm overdoing it?Is it really that wrong to be different?

No comments: