Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Try Walking In My Shoes

I think one of the most important problems that the world has to face nowadays is the need for instant gratification. At some point people stopped thinking about each other and started to care more about achieving their own goals.
I think this loss of empathy is really troubling; I know I'm going to sound like a Self-Help book but I think that a good philosophy of life would be "Treat people as you wish to be treated", at least is what I do. I try, before taking any decision to evaluate how my actions influence the people that surrounds me. I'm not saying that sometimes I fail to take the right (or less harmful) decission, but a least I weigh the options.
One of the causes of this selfish tendencies can be found on the internet, today with the net everything is inmediate, wether you want to hear a song, read a book or watch pictures of your favorite movie star. Since so many of us pass a big amount of time surfing the net it occurs that you get used to this feeling of immediateness. That translates into real life as frustration when you can't obtain whatever you're fixated on. So it is then when you would try anything to get your gratification and then you're so egoist you don't stop until you get what you want, no matter who gets in your way.
I guess if politicians tried this empathy thing once in while the world wouldn't be that f****ed up; but how ca we demand them to do things we are not able to do for ourselves?
So I leave you to meditate this, would empathy save our world? I'm pretty sure it would, what do you think about that?
So as Dave Gahan said in the song thah gives title to this post "Try walking in my shoes" and maybe, just maybe you'll understand what it is to feel like I do.

No comments: